20080120

Learn to Teach...Teach to Learn

Here's some philosophy that I want you to explore the deeper meaning behind:

Learn to Teach...Teach to Learn
Learn different methods so you can teach them. Then teach them so you can better learn the ins and outs of that particular method. Learning truly starts when you teach. When you are always the student, you are always looking to someone else for the answer instead of looking within yourself. Once you begin to teach, you develop a complete understanding of that which you are learning, and you begin to teach better (using more concise cues) and learning how effective of a teacher you really are.

Less is more. The more you are able to teach with less talking, the better teacher you truly are. A great teacher is someone who takes complex subjects and simplifies them down to the lowest common denominator...regardless of the field or subject.

Last Saturday I taught a seminar combining Kettlebells and Z Health. First ever of its kind. When I first put it out there for people to register, I was unsure that I would be able to fill 5 complete hours with quality information. As I began the outline for the workshop, I quickly realized I had 10-12+ hours of information just on this topic alone. Made me realize that I know a lot of stuff and it's time to start passing it on so I continue to improve as a teacher AND more importantly as a student.

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Most of the time when someone comes to me to be taught something, it is that very person that becomes the teacher and sharpens my skills as a teacher.

Take away: The quicker you start teaching and the more you teach, the better teacher you will be...as long as you debrief your sessions/workshops to understand what you can do better next time.

Learn in order to teach. Teach in order to learn.

2 comments:

Amy Jurrens said...

I am a teacher, but I have learned so much more from my students than I have ever taught them. Being your student also helps me remember what it is like to look to someone else for the answer and realize that the answer is within myself.

You, Brad, the teacher, have the ability to ask the right questions so I can find the answers. Teaching isn't about imparting knowledge. It is about creating an environment that in conducive to learning. Teaching is understanding the different ways each person learns best.

You see how I learn best and provide me with the environment where I can succeed. I've NEVER before had a teacher like you. You believe in me and see my potential. You make me strive to be better every day. I hope everyone has a person like that, a person who, in the words of Epictetus, "calls forth your best."

Amy J
Iowa

Tom, Healy, RKC said...

Brad,

Some nice points here. I've been studying kettlebells for around 4 years, trained at Ron Morris' school, pased my RKC and have ventured out and started my own kettlebell school in Houston TX.
I've asked myself - Am I qualified to teach fitness training?
Well, I've been a good student to this point, so my next step in this fitness evolution is to become teacher, to instill the same kind of committment and enthusiasm to health & well-being that I have learned along the way.
Your posting has cleared up some issues I've been dealing with.
Thanks!