20070812

Amusement Park Musings

Sad, very sad. The state of health in Minnesota (and our nation). Friday afternoon landed me and my girlfriend at Valleyfair (Minnesota's version of Six Flags) for some R&R...and the ultimate in people watching and human behavior. WOW. That word says it all. After 4 hours of people watching and some time to reflect it is time for a rant.

There is only one thing that pisses me off more than adults being so lazy that they are beyond apathy when it comes to taking care of themselves. What is that ONE thing that is worse? They are living examples to their children who are now severely overweight because their parents are too frickin' lazy to take control of their own lives along with taking responsibility for their kids' future health. The environment that kids today are growing up in is atrocious. Get off your rear end and DO SOMETHING. I don't care if it is walking around the block, playing catch with your kid, going for a bike ride, just do SOMETHING!

I have yet to see very many overweight kids with thin, in shape parents. But I see HUNDREDS of obese kids with obese parents. Why is this? My number one conclusion comes down to NUTRITION. Parents eat like crap so kids eat like crap because CRAP is what is in the house. WAKE UP! Packaged food is KILLING YOU. I am in disbelief what I witnessed at this amusement park.

At each ride there is a sign that explains how tall you have to be, the 'thrill rating' of the ride, and who SHOULD NOT ride including pregnant women, back & neck problem people. OK that is all normal ...yet NOW THEY HAVE ADDED IN A SPECIAL BOX AT THE TOP OF THE SIGN and I quote...

"NOT DESIGNED FOR LARGER PEOPLE"

Are you kiddin' me? This is such an epidemic that we now have to address this on a sign at the amusement park?

Folks this is affecting YOU and those around you A LOT more than maybe your pigeon-holed belief system is allowing you to think. If you are overweight, be offended enough by this post to do something. If you need help, I will help you. I will not tolerate your B.S excuses, but I will help you change your mind and your body. Most of all it is affecting your children and future generations. STOP. Change. It's not difficult, but it will require some discipline.

I am not saying you have to be a supermodel (which most of them are very unhealthy at the other end of the spectrum) I am asking you to take responsibility for yourself and your family and CHOOSE to change the health concerns of those closest to you.

That's it I'm done.

BTW, I did have a GREAT time at VF going on every serious ride the park had to offer and laughing the entire time my girlfriend was getting nauseated...and SHE was the one who suggested we go which was the best part of the entire day :).

2 comments:

Christine said...

I live in an affluent suburb of Kansas City, and I see obese kids every day - with very thin, in shape parents! It's almost more insulting, these are people who are obsessed with their own appearance, but cannot be bothered with their kids. These kids are fed 'convenience' foods, junk, McDonalds, and shoved in front of the TV so they'll leave mom and dad alone. Oh, sure they trot them out for soccer once a week, but that's not enough to reverse the damage done the rest of the time.

And unfortunately, it's not just the midwest and the south anymore. It's all over.

Mike T Nelson said...

Don't forget the pale kids that go out to VF and torch their skin and look like Randy the Red Lobster by 1pm. Just looks painful.

Yeah, it is very hard for kids to overcome an obesogenic enviroment.

Mike N